Also found a photo on this blog http://tarnyiamarycatherine.blogspot.com/2011/07/scrap-busting.html
I decided I had plenty of Christmas fabric scraps so this is how I started.
When the 12.5" squares are all cut out and then cut into triangles each piece has to have lines drawn on it. This was taking a little while until the brain kicked in and thought of making a plastic template. From then on it was very quick to get the lines on.Late last night was the cutting up of the strips. It certainly used up a lot of my scraps and also some of the tiniest pieces of much loved fabric which can be used for the corners.
This morning the sewing started.
It all looks a bit messy when the strips are being added.
After an iron and trimming off the excess it starts to look great.
As more are made it creates the spider web pattern.
So now I am very excited to make more blocks and get it together.
I thought this project might be a big challenge for me as normally I like to have organised quilts. I find it very hard to just pick up a fabric and add it to the next one. So it surprises me that I really do like the look that is happening with this one.
The next step of a project is never far away in my thoughts or the even the beginning of another project.
Oh Kathy...the web quilt so far looks sensational. You better keep this one I think! :)
ReplyDeleteKathy, your block looks great! No wonder you need to think about where it is going - I rather think one little boy might think it's for him!!!
ReplyDeleteAwesome as Kathy....and like you, I struggle with scraps, but that looks great :)
ReplyDeleteKathy,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for visiting and commenting on my blog. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I should also tell you that you made me smile. I get so surprised and excited to hear someone actually likes to read my ramblings. That makes me want to tell another story, maybe I will! Soon!!!
I'm super busy doing a basement remodel, which I think I will post about since it is a craft room! And pink!
I love the spiderweb quilt project, I have been planning to make one for about a year. I have about three more quilts for special people and one room to finish and then I can finally get going on what I want to make for ME!!! Woohoo!
I hope you have a wonderful day and that 2012 is very good to you. Please keep posting pics, I love to see what you are up to!
Hugs,
Julie
Hi Kathy, came by for a return visit... I am also making one of these but with different size scraps and it is one of those ongoing projects sitting by my machine.. they are such fun I think and a great way to tidy the scrap box... I am amazed at how far the scraps seem to go though
ReplyDeleteHugz