In My Garden

Wednesday, 25 January 2012

21 or 22 years ago Cousin It came to stay

Mothers Day about 21 years ago, on our way to visit the mother-in-law, we went to a market.  This is where I found and fell in love with Cousin It.  I purchased him with the thought of giving it to the mother-in-law but thats all it was, a thought.  Cousin It came home to stay with us, he started off so little and over the years he has had a few different pots.  Most of his life he has sat on the kitchen window sill and thrived very happily, never complaining, never asking for anything, not even water.  I transferred him a week ago to his new pot and also a new corner of the house to sit in.  He will still get warmed from the sun and maybe he will be able to grow even taller in his new position.  He has had several sets of eyes over the years and also a few mouths, he likes to see things through new eyes. Cousin It grows beautiful hair to protect him from sunburn.  He doesn't like to be touched by anyone, so when I have to change his house I wear good thick gloves as I don't want to be bit by him.  Over the years he has had some friends join him, some have moved outside and some have moved on. I can't bring myself to put Cousin It outside. I am sure he would survive but winter can be very cold here and I would hate for him to get a cold.  

In the xstitch area of my life I have been working on Bloom Where You Are Planted.  I decided to put my first photo up again of how it looked when I first started to blog and where it is at now.

January 25th 2012
Its great to have the two photos to compare and see how much progress has been made.

In the quilting area I have been working on laundry bags for Aussie Hero Quilts.  I have 15 cut out ready to sew.  I have the linings sewn, just need to put a label tag on the outside of the bags and then I can complete and send them off to Jan-Maree.

In my mind I have been thinking about the double wedding ring quilt which I was going to make for my daughters wedding last October but it still isn't done.  Also an eye spy book for my granddaughter has been popping into my head as well as a rather large number of other projects.  I tell myself "get them into an order and do one at a time" but I don't really listen to myself.  I want to start them all now.
I was looking through my xstitch kits the other day and have decided I have more than enough.  I plan to work on these over the next few years and try and get them all done. 

This photo does not show all the kits I have, I know there are more lurking in another box.

So I have listened to myself about not buying fabric and now also must not buy any more xstitch kits. Then there is the scrapbooking, I am thinking of selling some of this collection of papers, stickers etc etc off.  I know I will never ever use it all. 
Oh and what about the hardanger project started, how many years ago???  And the ones that I really did have to buy the pattern, fabric and threads for.
I shall stop thinking of all the things I would like to start and go and do a little x-stitch (on an already started project) while I wait for my husband to come home from fishing.
I find it hard to part with any of my crafting things so I know the chance of me selling anything is zero. But if I stop buying things to add to my collections of hobbies what would I do with the extra money? Now that could be worth me giving some thought to.
I appreciate you taking the time out to visit my little blog.
Hugs to all
Kathy

3 comments:

  1. Why have I never noticed Cousin It? I'll introduce myself on my next visit :) And you buying less........oh Kathy, you have made my day xoxoxooxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy,
    Boy can I relate to what you are feeling. I have sooooo much, and I don't really want to get rid of any of it. Yet, I see something and really want to get it. I try to talk myself out of it since I have so much already. Now that I am organizing the sewing and craft rooms I am seeing just how much I actually have. I will have to live to be very old to get it all done!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,
    I'm betting I have more cross stitch projects than you that need either starting or completing. I just don't want to count them because then I will never be able to justify buying just one more!!! Especially when I got the latest copy of the Fox Collection in the mail today!
    Cheers, Christine xoxoxx

    ReplyDelete