In My Garden

Monday, 22 October 2012

Positive results after a bad day at work

A few weeks ago I almost got myself sacked by being a little too honest at work and not choosing my words quite right.  Lesson learnt there and I am very happy to still have my job.  In the few days after making my big mistake I began to think about what I would do if I no longer worked. (I didn't work for 12 years when my children were young and then I only worked for 8 hours a week for a lot of years.  Now I have been at my current employment for six and a half years, approx three of them full time.)  I came to the conclusion that I could "retire".  I would volunteer at the local hospital canteen, spend more time on my hobbies, maybe even get a little vegetable garden growing.  I could look after my grandson more, spend time at the duck pond and parks with him. I could cook a decent meal every night for my husband, instead of him coming home most nights before me and doing the cooking.  I try not to think about the dusting I could do....I'm not very good at that!  I could be more relaxed and not get stressed over things that really are not worth stressing over. I could spend more time with my friend Marion, scrapbooking and solving the problems of the world from her craft room.  Losing my job wouldn't have been the end of the world but it would have been the way I lost it that I would not have been proud of.  When I choose to "retire" I want to be able to write the letter of resignation for the right reasons not because I have been made to choose between resigning or getting sacked.  Sometimes things happen for a reason and out of the mess of that day has come a lot of positive results.  I enjoy going to work again and I have realised that there are other things I want to do in life once I decide to stop working.  So I have no bad memories of that day as it has taught me to focus on all the things I have yet to achieve and do.


4 comments:

  1. I know how you feel, sometimes you just have to bite your tongue and let the ....flow over you!
    Glad you still have your jo, its nice to get out and meet people, I would love to retire for my hobbies BUT I know I would get a little lonely at times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe honesty in smaller amounts, more regularly with well chosen words is more acceptable to some - try not to allow frustration to build up - I EXPLODE when it does after biting my tongue for too long and unfortunately my tongue has been a real sword at different times in my life. Honesty travels hand in hand with integrity Kathy - and you are one of the most honest and amazing people I know.....I'm blessed (as are your employers) to have you in my life!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so much better to g out on your own terms. And it's good to start forming a plan for when it happens. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy,
    I'm really glad you didn't lose your job. I do hope that someday soon you can retire, but on your own terms, like you want.
    I just had to write to tell you how much your comment meant to me. I was a little unsure if I should even have posted about the experience, and sometimes wonder if people are thinking I am just spending too much time worrying about dumb things that aren't a big deal. But it was to me. Knowing you enjoy my blog so much and that just maybe others will get anything good out of what I write is motivation to keep on writing.
    I'm sorry you also felt bad during those school years. Apparently a lot of people did, and who knew? Even the seemingly popular ones sometimes were actually very insecure. Hmmmmm. Well, if we only knew then what we know now, right?
    Again, thank you so much for your lovely comment. I was so happy to read that I had to call my sister and read it to her! It really made my day. You are very sweet.
    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete